Love is by far one of the most powerful emotions one can experience in life. Love has the absolute power to manifest the lowest of lows and the highest of highs within all of us. So why is it that so many relationships start off with a bang and end with a thud? At first, our relationships seem to take on the often clichéd “honeymoon phase,” where both man and woman are overcome by the boundless energies of love, falling helplessly head over heels for one another. Be it 2 months or 2 years, the once radiant glow begins to fade and the relationship has begun to plateau. When things “level out” like this, it’s important to know what you and your partner can do to spice things up a bit. Here’s five great ways to rekindle that lovin’ feelin’!
- Take it beyond the bedroom – By now the bedroom has become a comfort zone for both you and your partner. So step outside the box and shake things up a bit! Take it to the streets! Go Public! Now I wouldn’t recommend putting yourself in a situation where you could get in serious legal trouble, but the idea of getting caught can be riveting! The paranoia adds a whole new dimension to sex. For starters, try it in a different room of the house – perhaps the kitchen or laundry room. Once you and your partner are comfortable, you can graduate to more exotic settings like an elevator or the beach. Now I agree that this may not sound like a scene from “The Notebook,” but sex in public places really is a great way to dust those cobwebs off your sex life.
- Trash the haggard clothing – I know that when you’re at home alone as a couple, there’s little reason to “dress to impress.” But nothing says turn-off like tattered, oversized t-shirts, maternity sweatpants and a limp ponytail pushed off to the side with a cumbersome scrunchee. A great way to refresh your sex life is to make yourself more desirable for your partner. As a relationship matures, a man and woman become much more comfortable with one another and as a result they aren’t so much concerned about their physical appearance at home, as they once were. Wear something that’s comfortable, but something that doesn’t scream “I’m a hot mess.”
- Take dinner to the next level – Even if you and your partner are sharing an extra large pepperoni pizza on a Friday evening, spice it up a bit with some candles, a table cloth and some music to set the mood. The romantic lighting and subtle music can make for an intimate dining experience. Maybe incorporate some aphrodisiacs to the meal for little kick-start. Finger food also gives you a great excuse to feed one another.
- Take a vacation – Escape the ordinary. Sometimes work schedules and personal commitments make it difficult for a couple to share intimacy. One of the first things a relationship coach will recommend is a romantic getaway. You don’t have to go far. In fact, a trip down the street to a local Marriott will do just fine. The feeling of detachment makes it easier to let go and get lost within the moment. Find a quiet hotel suite, grab a bottle of champagne and bucket of ice and have peace of mind knowing that the only thing you’re waking up for the next day is breakfast in bed.
- Balance your hormones – As we age, our hormones naturally begin to decline. The result is a hormonal imbalance, usually identified as perimenopause or menopause in women and andropause in men. Although there are many unpleasant side-effects of hormonal imbalance such as weight gain, fatigue, insomnia, depression and loss of muscle mass, the chief complaint from both men and women alike is low libido. Hormonal imbalance affects millions of men and women each year. The good news is, there’s something you can do about it. Comprehensive hormone testing is available to determine if indeed a hormonal imbalance is present. Once the imbalance has been identified, physicians can use bioidentical hormones to restore the balance and in turn relieve the associated symptoms.